Thursday, April 29, 2021

Foundation and Calling

 Hi friends and family,

Sorry for the long gap in writing. Life here has been busy and every time I have tried to sit down and write I have lacked the inspiration and energy. Initially I had planned a much different blog post, but that changed.

 


Pictures from a recent hike up to Mt Tapi

 

 

Life here is settling into more of a pattern. I am now moved into my permanent house that the construction team had been hard at work on to prepare for me. It’s nice to have a space that I can make more my own knowing that I will be in it for the next two years.

 

And yet, it still feels hard to find consistency. Call shifts can range from easy shifts with only a couple of phone calls to my last Thursday call shift where I was at the hospital for most of the night taking care of machete wounds, a patient with liver failure, two vacuum deliveries, a C-section and a repair of a third-degree tear. We also have a large number of people leaving in the next couple of weeks-volunteers returning home, families going for home assignment and a long-term family leaving permanently-even as we welcome a few new and experienced faces. I definitely feel some sadness and a sense of transience with these transitions.

 


 

One of my Peds patients who came in with burns from cooking oil-improved a lot from admission

 

Part way through a recent busy call shift I found myself dreading being called for something for which I was unprepared (any number of things really-trauma, complicated OB cases, anything in the eye…). I longed to be completely competent, ready to answer any call, or, on the other hand, to always have quiet calls with conditions that I was more than capable of handling. I wanted to have arrived, to be able to coast down through the rest of my work, not being ruffled or showing my vulnerabilities. Being exposed by difficult cases made me feel unsettled.

 

It’s easy for me, particularly as a physician, to find a lot of my identity in my work. When things go well, I feel on top of the world, glowing with a sense of competence and agency. However, when things are difficult or don’t go well, I often blame myself, feeling inadequate and uncertain.

 

My initial plan was to write this blogpost as a case study about a patient I was caring for on the Pediatric Ward. He was an 8-month-old that presented with shortness of breath and sores over his body. I cared for him for 2 and a half weeks, discovering his diagnosis and starting him on appropriate therapies. He seemed to be slowly moving in the right direction, until the weekend when I heard that he has passed away. I was stunned. Initially he had been so sick I would not have been surprised if he had died, but he had seemed to start to respond to treatment and had been there every morning as I came to round. My heart sank as I remembered his eyes looking at me as I would listen to his heart and lungs every morning and the deep sadness that was always in the eyes of his mother. I also felt the weight and doubt of the physician who has lost a patient, especially a child. The next day on rounds the empty bed bored into me with its silence.

 


 

I’m currently slowly working through a book called Walking with the Poor by Bryant Myers. A wealth of ideas about what poverty actually is and the complexity of doing development work well, it has challenged me deeply about my work here. Last night I read a sentence that hit home in regard to what I had been feeling, “An agent of transformation who is not also being transformed is capable of doing more harm than good” (sorry no page number-Kindle edition). Coasting through is not our calling.

 

A good friend recently asked me how I had changed since being here and I didn’t have a good answer. But I think that as I have become more proficient in the language, seen more deeply the ebb and flow of life here, I have found slowly growing in me a more profound love for my patients, a greater willingness to listen to stories and to see. I’m also being forced to find my identity and stability in something beyond my abilities and the outcome of my work. As Easter reminded me, in Jesus and the cross we have the perfect model as well as the perfect foundation.

 


 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you Daniel for giving us a glimpse into your work. prayers are being said for you daily sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel, Thank you sharing, I am praying for you, I can not imagine all that you do and see in PNG, but I do feel your sweet spirit, I know this spirit surrounds your patients, friends and co-workers every day. This sweet spirit is Jesus, who shines through you, in your eyes, smile and touch. So thankful for everything you do! Karen Holden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daniel, You are doing amazing work and each patient will impact you, because you are that kind of physician - you put your whole heart in....losing a patient, while difficult....you can still help his mother during this time and she will likely be helping you too. You are much stronger than you know. In my thoughts and prayers. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Daniel! Just wanted to tell you how much I’ve enjoyed your posts. My dad always tells me that in healthcare you have to store up the good things so they can carry you through the heartbreak. I’m praying for you and the people you’re serving. Hope today is a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Daniel, you made me more human today as a result of your post. I wept reading this post. I pray the HS continues to changes you and me in our callings - although they are radically different. The closest I came to a machete today was a pair of craft scissors on the floor. Thank you for your service and posts. - Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. “An agent of transformation who is not also being transformed is capable of doing more harm than good.” Amen. Thank you for sharing this post, and for being brave and vulnerable, not hiding behind the physician shield. Your genuine and gentle presence with your patients also brings the healing of Christ, who wept with those who weep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful way to encapsulate your progress - it is a journey and being "present" and "showing up and listening" in the moments you are in rather than always anticipating what is ahead - these are the things that make you the most effective. What a beautiful story you are already telling, Daniel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sitting here both stunned at how beautifully written this post is while deeply moved by your experience, trials, and impact in a community that so desperately needs you. Thank you for sharing this gift and please know that you're inspiring people like me with how you're pouring out your life for the sake of the Gospel.

    ReplyDelete

New Life

  He is Risen! This week as I have been reflecting on the new life and hope found in the resurrection of our Lord, I have ...